Internship Position in Marketing & Communication
Please note that this internship is available twice a year, from 1 February to 1 August and from 1 August to 1 February.
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a center of urban expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Looking at cities from different perspectives, we educate urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, consult national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research.
Bringing practical experience from real-life projects back to the classroom, we inspire collaboration and co-creation of urban knowledge. Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities across the globe.
The successful candidate will be part of our Marketing & Communication department, supporting us with IHS’ communication.
- Develop & implement a marketing or communication plan (specific assignment to be discussed). Past assignments included recruitment plans for different focus countries of the institute or an internal communication assessment
- Support the implementation the Alumni policy (communication with alumni through social media, organization of alumni events, updating contact details of alumni in database system)
- Support the application process in Admissions Office (enter student data and communication of admission decisions to prospective students via email)
- Data entry and update, and carry out mailings through CRM system
- Administrative duties
- The candidate should be a student at a Dutch or foreign university (with a Residence Permit for the Netherlands) in a graduate/undergraduate (Master/Bachelor) study programme that requires a work placement/ internship at an international organisation like IHS
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work, but also able to work independently
- Able to work on several things at the same time and with deadlines
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Very strong organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills, such as a good use of Microsoft Office applications
- Students must have successfully completed at least 2 years of an undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: International Business, Communication, Marketing. Any related work experience in those fields is an asset
- Strong affinity with Marketing, Communication, Visual communication and design, and urban management and development internationally
- Knowledge, experience and interest in one of the following topic is an asset: communication and marketing concepts, basic marketing theory, digital and online tools, research and analysis
- Strong writing skills
- Experience with CRM systems is preferred
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an internship agreement which states the terms and conditions of the internship. This document needs to be signed by IHS, a representative of the university of the intern and the intern himself/herself. Candidates that cannot provide university approval for respective agreement cannot be accepted.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit valid for the total period of the internship or be an EU citizen. Candidates without a permit cannot be accepted.
- The intern position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands for a period up to six months (preferred duration) and needs a presence of 40 hrs per week, working regular office hours.
- We offer a cost compensation of 300 euros gross per month for undergraduate students and 500 euros gross per month for master students.
- The starting date for this internship is to be discussed and depends on the available starting date of the candidate and the availability of the internship at that particular time.
Supervision will be done within the department.
Training is included in the package.
How to Apply
By email to Ms. Sarah Steendam: steendam@ ihs.nl
Please include “Marketing & Communication internship” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Copy of your passport
- For non-EU candidates: a copy of the back and front side of your residence permit for the Netherlands
- Availability date