Internship Position in Urban Competitiveness and Resilience
Current facets (Pre-Master)
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a centre of urban expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Looking at cities from different perspectives, we educate urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, consult national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research.
Bringing practical experience from real-life projects back to the classroom, we inspire collaboration and co-creation of urban knowledge. Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the well-being of people living in cities across the globe.
The successful candidate will be part of our UCR team, supporting us with projects in the fields of urban and regional competitiveness and resilience as well as economic policy analysis.
- Assist in research and project work
- Manage work related to students
- Extract, prepare and manage data to support research/teaching/projects
- Conduct quantitative analyses to support research/teaching/projects
- Create maps using GIS software to support research/teaching/projects
- Assist in literature search on relevant subjects
- Manage communication portals
- The candidate should be a student at a Dutch or foreign university (with a Residence Permit for the Netherlands) in a postgraduate (Master) study programme that requires a work placement/ internship at an international organisation like IHS
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work, but also ability to work independently
- Able to work on several tasks in parallel and with tight deadlines
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills, such as a good use of Microsoft Office applications
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset
- Students must have successfully completed at least 3 years of an undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: economics, economic geography, regional studies, development studies, social sciences, public policy or urban studies. Any related work experience (e.g. previous internships) in those fields is an asset.
- Strong interest in urban topics (required)
- Knowledge of quantitative research skills (required)
- Knowledge and experience of using statistical software, particularly STATA
- Knowledge of ArcGIS software is an asset
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an internship agreement which states the terms and conditions of the internship. This document needs to be signed by IHS, a representative of the university of the intern, and the intern himself/herself. Candidates that cannot provide university approval for this agreement cannot be accepted.
- Non-EU candidates must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit valid for the total period of the internship. Candidates without a permit cannot be accepted. Additional requirements may apply for non-EU candidates, which must be checked with the internship department.
- The internship position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, either part-time or full-time for a period of minimum two months and maximum six months with availability of three to five days per week during regular office hours.
- We offer a cost compensation of 300 euros gross per month for undergraduate students and 500 euros gross per month for master students. In case of a part-time internship the compensation is adjusted according to the number of working days.
- The starting date for an internship is to be discussed with the UCR team and depends on the possible starting date of the candidate and the availability of relevant work at IHS.
Please consider the specialization page (www.ihs.nl/ucr) for more detailed information on content and activities. Supervision will be done within the department. Training is included in the package.
How to Apply
By e-mail to Dr. Paula Nagler: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Intern UCR” in the subject line and send the following documents attached:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Availability dates