Internship Position in Urban Competitiveness and Resilience (UCR)
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a center of urban expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Looking at cities from different perspectives, we educate urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, consult national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research.
Bringing practical experience from real-life projects back to the classroom, we inspire collaboration and co-creation of urban knowledge. Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities across the globe.
The successful candidate will be part of our UCR team, supporting us with projects in the fields of economic geography, urban management and urban planning.
- Manage student work and assist in research
- Extract, prepare and manage data for research and analysis
- Make maps using GIS software to support research and analysis
- Desktop research (literature, reports, etc.) on relevant subjects
- Manage communication portals
- The candidate should be a student at a Dutch or foreign university (with a Residence Permit for the Netherlands or the EU) in a graduate/undergraduate (Master/Bachelor) study programme that requires a work placement/ internship at an international organisation like IHS
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work, but also able to work independently
- Able to work on several things at the same time and with deadlines
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Very strong organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills, such as a good use of Microsoft Office applications
- Students must have successfully completed at least 3 years of an undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: Architecture, Urban Planning, Economics, Economic Geography, Regional Studies, Geo-information, Geomatics Engineering, Public Administration, International Business, Social Sciences, Urban-Rural Development. Any related work experience in those fields is an asset
- Strong affinity with urban management and development internationally and Economic Geography
- Knowledge, experience and interest in one of the following topic is an asset: Urban management and Urban planning concepts, Data and statistics
- Strong management and communication skills
- Experience with ArcGIS is preferred
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an internship agreement which states the terms and conditions of the internship. This document needs to be signed by IHS, a representative of the university of the intern and the intern himself/herself. Candidates that cannot provide university approval for respective agreement cannot be accepted.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit valid for the total period of the internship or be an EU citizen. Candidates without a permit cannot be accepted.
- The intern position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands for a period of minimum three months and maximum six months and needs a presence of 40 hrs per week, working regular office hours.
- We offer a cost compensation of 300 euros gross per month for undergraduate students and 500 euros gross per month for master students.
- The starting date for this internship is to be discussed and depends on the available starting date of the candidate and the availability of the internship at that particular time.
Please consider the specialization page (www.ihs.nl/ucr) for more detailed information on content and activities.
Supervision will be done within the department.
Training is included in the package.
How to Apply
By email to Ms. Paula Nagler: email@example.com
Please include “Intern UCR” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Availability date