Internship Position in Urban Housing, Equity and Social Justice
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a center of urban expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Looking at cities from different perspectives, we educate urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, consult national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research. Bringing practical experience from real-life projects back to the classroom, we inspire collaboration and co-creation of urban knowledge. Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities across the globe.
The successful candidate will be part of our UHES team, supporting us with projects in the field of urban housing in the context of housing adequacy, equity and social justice. This particular internship will focus on the work of the UHES team with regard to social (or affordable) housing, more specifically the Developing Social Housing Projects (DSHP) course.
- Desktop research (literature, reports, etc.) on social housing in Europe for the development of a session on social housing differences in selected European countries in the DSHP course
- Compilation of course readers; i.e. selection of relevant references relating to social housing in both Europe and globally for the DSHP course
- Prepare the programme handbook for the DSHP course under the supervision of course coordinator
- Support the general course implementation (arrange and accompany students on excursions and workshops in the Netherlands and contact guest lecturers in accordance to program of the DSHP course
- Contribute to and manage communication portals (e.g. website) for the DSHP course
- The candidate should be a student at a Dutch or foreign university (with a Residence Permit for the Netherlands or the EU) in a graduate/undergraduate (Master/Bachelor) study programme that requires a work placement/ internship at an international organisation like IHS
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work, but also able to work independently
- Able to work on several things at the same time and with deadlines
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Very strong organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills, such as a good use of Microsoft Office applications
- Students must have successfully completed at least 2 years of an undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: Housing and Real Estate, Architecture, Geography, Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Development Studies, Community Development, Social Sciences. Any related work experience in those fields is an asset.
- Strong affinity with social housing in Netherlands, Europe and Global South is an asset
- Knowledge, experience and interest in one of the following topic is an asset: Social/Public Housing and Affordable Housing
- Strong management and communication skills
- Experience with e-learning is preferred
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an internship agreement which states the terms and conditions of the internship. This document needs to be signed by IHS, a representative of the university of the intern and the intern himself/herself. Candidates that cannot provide university approval for respective agreement cannot be accepted.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit valid for the total period of the internship or be an EU citizen. Candidates without a permit cannot be accepted.
- The intern position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands for a period of a minimum three months and maximum six months and needs a presence of 24-40 hrs per week, working regular office hours.
- Ideally timeline is full-time internship for 3 months starting on September 1, 2018
- We offer a cost compensation of 300 euros gross per month for undergraduate students and 500 euros gross per month for master students.
- The starting date for this internship is to be discussed and depends on the available starting date of the candidate and the availability of the internship at that particular time.
Please consider the specialization page (www.ihs.nl/uhes) for more detailed information on content and activities.
Specific information of the DSHP course can be found at www.ihs.nl/dshp.
Supervision will be done within the department.
Training is included in the package.
How to Apply
By email to Mr. Alonso Ayala: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application is August 15th, 2018.
Please include “Intern UHES DSHP” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Availability date (first date available and number of hours per week)