Internship Position in Urban Strategies and Planning
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a centre of urban expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Looking at cities from different perspectives, we educate urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, consult national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research. Bringing practical experience from real-life projects back to the classroom, we inspire collaboration and co-creation of urban knowledge. Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities across the globe.
The successful candidate will be part of our Urban Strategies and Planning team, supporting us in running the one year MSc programme in Urban Management and Development.
- Supporting the preparation and implementation of specific modules of the Urban Management and Development Master’s course, in particular, the Urban Strategies and Planning specialisation
- Preparing materials for courses and workshops
- Arranging and accompanying students on excursions
- Supporting lecturers and students in exercises and workshops
- Updating and managing the online platform (blog) of the specialisation during the course
- The candidate should be a student at a Dutch or foreign university (with a Residence Permit for the Netherlands) in a graduate/undergraduate (Master/Bachelor) study programme that requires a work placement/ internship at an international organisation like IHS
- Creative and with a pro-active attitude in teamwork, but also able to work independently
- Able to work on several things at the same time and with deadlines
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Very strong organisational skills
- Excellent computer skills, such as a good use of Microsoft Office applications
Specific Skills and Requirements
- The candidate must have successfully completed at least 3 years of an undergraduate degree in urban planning, urban management, urbanism, geography, development studies, international studies, economics, architecture, or other related disciplines.
- Affinity for urban planning, international urban management and development, governance, self-organisation, and capacity building issues
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Dutch language is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of office suite (word, excel, powerpoint)
- Acquaintance with online blog platforms, presentation/visualisation programmes and design software are additional assets
- Very strong organising skills
- Able to work in a diverse cultural and professional environment
- Able to work independently and collectively within the team
- Creative and pro-active attitude
- Strongly motivated
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an internship agreement which states the terms and conditions of the internship. This document needs to be signed by IHS, a representative of the university of the intern and the intern himself/herself. Candidates that cannot provide university approval for respective agreement cannot be accepted.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit valid for the total period of the internship or be an EU citizen. Candidates without a permit cannot be accepted. Any other residence permit not issued by Dutch authorities or a permit from another European country is NOT valid for the Netherlands
- The intern position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands for a period of at least five and preferably twelve months and needs a presence of 40 hrs per week, working regular office hours.
- We offer a cost compensation of 300 euros gross per month for undergraduate students and 500 euros gross per month for master students.
- The starting date for this internship is to be discussed and depends on the available starting date of the candidate and the availability of the internship at that particular time.
Please consider the specialisation page for more detailed information on content and activities.
Supervision will be done within the department.
Training is included in the package.
How to Apply
Please send your application by email to Ms. Elena Petsani at firstname.lastname@example.org with “USP internship” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Availability date