Research Project Support Internship
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a centre of urban expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Looking at cities from different perspectives, we educate urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, consult national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research.
Bringing practical experience from real-life projects back to the classroom, we inspire collaboration and co-creation of urban knowledge. Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the well-being of people living in cities across the globe.
The successful candidate will be part of one of the two academic team at IHS, supporting primarily a research project in the field of inequality in various developing countries that is conducted for the German Development Cooperation (GIZ). Further, the intern will be involved in preparing the specialization course ‘Urban Competitiveness and Resilience’, and assist in other tasks related to research/education/projects, as applicable.
- Join an ongoing GIZ research project related to inequality in various developing countries
- Extract, prepare and manage data and prepare graphical visualizations
- Undertake literature research and compile summaries
- Draft sections for the reports
- Assist in preparing the specialization course ‘Urban Competitiveness and Resilience’
- Find and organize literature on relevant topics
- Prepare lecture descriptions
- Help prepare the course manual and course documents
- Support the coordinator with content management
- Assist in other tasks related to research/education/projects
- The candidate should be an inscribed student at a Dutch or foreign university (with a Residence Permit for the Netherlands in case of non-EU citizenship), and the university willing to sign the internship agreement.
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work, but also ability to work independently.
- Able to work on several tasks in parallel and with tight deadlines.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills, such as a good use of Microsoft Office applications.
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset.
- Students must have successfully completed at least 2 years of an undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: economics, economic geography, regional studies, development studies, social sciences, public policy or urban studies. Any related work experience (e.g. previous internships) in those fields is an asset.
- Strong interest in urban topics and topics related to economic development
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an internship agreement which states the terms and conditions of the internship. This document needs to be signed by IHS, a representative of the university of the intern, and the intern himself/herself. Candidates that cannot provide university approval for this agreement cannot be accepted.
- Non-EU candidates must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit valid for the total period of the internship. Candidates without a permit cannot be accepted. Additional requirements may apply for non-EU candidates, which must be checked with the internship department.
- The internship position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, either part-time or full-time for a period of minimum three months and maximum six months with the availability of four to five days per week during regular office hours.
- We offer a cost compensation of 300 euros gross per month for undergraduate students and 500 euros gross per month for master students. In the case of a part-time internship, the compensation is adjusted according to the number of working days.
- The starting date for an internship is as soon as possible.
Supervision will be done within the academic team.
How to Apply
By e-mail to Dr. Paula Nagler: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Intern – GIZ Project” in the subject line and send the following documents attached:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Availability dates