Internship Positions in Urban Environment, Sustainability and Climate Change
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a center of urban expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Looking at cities from different perspectives, we educate urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, consult national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research.
Bringing practical experience from real-life projects back to the classroom, we inspire collaboration and co-creation of urban knowledge. Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities across the globe.
The two successful candidates will be part of our Urban Environment, Sustainability and Climate Change team, supporting us with projects in the field of urban sustainability and climate change.
- Support the organization and implementation of educational activities
- Prepare handbooks and manuals for courses
- Conduct research on urban environment, sustainability and climate change issues
- Develop and manage large data sets related to urban environment, sustainability and climate change issues
- Support the general project implementation, including international communication, text writing and editing
- Assist on project acquisition on urban environment, sustainability and climate change related issues
- The candidate should be a student at a Dutch or foreign university (with a Residence Permit for the Netherlands) in a postgraduate (Master) study programme that requires a work placement/ internship at an international organisation like IHS
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work, but also able to work independently
- Able to work on several tasks at the same time and meet deadlines
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Postgraduate students must have successfully completed at least 4 years of an undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: Environmental Management and Sustainability, Economics and Econometrics, Spatial Modelling and Geo-information Science, Data science and other related disciplines
- Excellent quantitative skills (statistics and econometrics)
- Excellent knowledge of GIS (ArcGIS or QGIS)
- Knowledge of R and Python is an asset
- Ability to work with large data set and knowledge of machine learning approaches is an asset
- Strong affinity with urban sustainability, climate change and environmental issues and urban management and development internationally
- Knowledge, experience and interest in one of the following thematic areas is an asset: Sustainability assessment methodologies; Climate change governance; Sustainable energy and finance; Urban ecosystem services valuation; Urban climate change adaptation and mitigation assessment; Sustainability and resilience indicators; Cost benefit analysis, Cost-effectiveness analysis and Multiple criteria analysis for urban sustainability and climate change
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an internship agreement which states the terms and conditions of the internship. This document needs to be signed by IHS, a representative of the university of the intern and the intern himself/herself. Candidates that cannot provide university approval for respective agreement cannot be accepted.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit valid for the total period of the internship or be an EU citizen. Candidates without a permit cannot be accepted.
- The intern position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands for a period up to six months (preferred duration) and needs a presence of 40 hrs per week, working regular office hours.
- We offer a cost compensation of 500 euros gross per month for master students.
- The starting date for this internship is to be discussed and depends on the available starting date of the candidate and the availability of the internship at that particular time.
Please consider the UECC webpage for more detailed information on content and activities.
Supervision will be done within the department.
Training is included in the package.
How to Apply
By email to Alberto Gianoli at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include 'Intern UECC' in the subject line and send the following documents attached:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Availability dates