Internship Positions in Urban Sustainability and Climate Change
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a center of urban expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Looking at cities from different perspectives, we educate urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, consult national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research.
Bringing practical experience from real-life projects back to the classroom, we inspire collaboration and co-creation of urban knowledge. Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities across the globe.
The two successful candidates will be part of our Urban Environmental Management and Climate Change team, supporting us with projects in the field of urban sustainability and climate change.
- Support the organization and implementation of regular and e-learning courses
- Prepare handbooks and manuals for courses/tools
- Conduct research on urban sustainability and climate change issues
- Support the general project implementation, including international communication, text writing and editing
- Assist on project acquisition on climate change and environmental related issues
- Update specific climate change/sustainability project website and manage material and contents
- Develop and maintain a climate change/sustainability experts/contacts database
- The candidate should be a student at a Dutch or foreign university (with a Residence Permit for the Netherlands) in a postgraduate (Master) study programme that requires a work placement/ internship at an international organisation like IHS
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work, but also able to work independently
- Able to work on several things at the same time and with deadlines
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Very strong organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills, such as a good use of Microsoft Office applications (Excel in particular)
- Postgraduate students must have successfully completed at least 4 years of an undergraduate degree in one of the following disciplines: Environmental management, Urban Management and Planning, Sustainability, Economics and other related disciplines. Any related work experience in those fields is an asset
- Strong affinity with Sustainability/Climate change and environmental issues and urban management and development internationally
- Knowledge, experience and interest in one of the following topic is an asset: Sustainability assessment methodologies, Climate change Policy and Governance, Sustainable Energy and Finance, Urban Ecosystem services evaluation, Urban Climate change adaptation and mitigation assessment, Sustainability and Resilience indicators, Cost Benefit Analysis, Cost-effectiveness analysis, Multiple Criteria Analysis for urban sustainability and climate change
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Experience with e-learning is preferred
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an internship agreement which states the terms and conditions of the internship. This document needs to be signed by IHS, a representative of the university of the intern and the intern himself/herself. Candidates that cannot provide university approval for respective agreement cannot be accepted.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit valid for the total period of the internship or be an EU citizen. Candidates without a permit cannot be accepted.
- The intern position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands for a period up to six months (preferred duration) and needs a presence of 40 hrs per week, working regular office hours.
- We offer a cost compensation of 500 euros gross per month for master students.
- The starting date for this internship is to be discussed and depends on the available starting date of the candidate and the availability of the internship at that particular time.
Please consider the UECC webpage for more detailed information on content and activities.
Supervision will be done within the department.
Training is included in the package.
How to Apply
By email to Ms. Jen Heemann at email@example.com
Please include “Urban Environmental and Climate Change Intern (postgraduate level)” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Documents illustrating previous experience
- Availability date