The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) - Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) focuses on educational, research and advisory activities related to urban development and management worldwide. Within IHS, the Urban Socio-Spatial Development department looks at the making of cities and the interactions with and transitions within cities. It addresses topics such as the creation and appropriation of urban space, civic engagement leading to transformations in the built and social environment, socio-spatial justice, and the right to the city. We look particularly into the phenomenon of urban informality in planning, housing, and land by assessing social, spatial, economic and gender impacts of urban dynamics.
IHS is looking to fill the position of Academic Assistant within the Urban Socio-Spatial Development department. This Academic Assistant will contribute to the educational, research and advisory activities in which the department is engaged in the field of housing, land, gender, urban planning and socio-spatial justice.
Qualifications and competencies
We are looking for a candidate who:
- Holds a Master’s degree in urban/ regional or spatial planning, urban management, development studies, human geography, urban public policy or a related social sciences discipline.
- Has a proven focus on and interest in aspects of land and housing policies and strategies, both in the Global North and South.
- Be able to support implementation of courses in web-based learning management systems (i.e. CANVAS).
- Has the readiness to travel and participate in projects and trainings worldwide.
- Has knowledge of qualitative and/or quantitative methods.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Fluency in other languages, particularly French is desirable.
- Has experience in a multicultural environment, has a creative and problem-solving attitude, is pro-active in the work, and is able to work independently and as part of a team.
Terms and conditions of employment
The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit or be an EU citizen. The position available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The maximum duration of the position is three years based on 40 hours per week. After one year an evaluation of the candidate’s performance takes place to determine the extension of the contract for two more years. Remuneration will be in line with the responsibilities of the role and related to the work experience of the candidate. For full-time employment, the minimum gross monthly salary is € 2.471 and a maximum of € 3.338 based on 40 working hours per week and on a salary scale of 7 of the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO NU). The IHS employment conditions include a holiday allowance of 8.0%, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and 30 holidays when working full-time.
The ideal starting date would be the end of May 2023.
For further information on the position, please contact Dr Alonso Ayala at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be submitted no later than 15 April 2023 by email to email@example.com.
Please add ‘Academic Assistant, Urban Socio-Spatial Development Department’ to the subject line.
Please send a cover letter (with a clear description of your motivations for applying for this position) and a detailed CV, including the names and contact details of two referees, to the email above.