Mid-level Housing Expert
Current facets (Pre-Master)
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a centre of urban development and management of the Erasmus University Rotterdam. We educate and train urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, advise national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research. Yearly we invest a great deal in building up our project portfolio (acquiring and executing training, advisory and research projects worldwide). Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities across the globe.
In the coming years, IHS will be investing in business development, and innovation in its range of services.
IHS is looking for a mid-level housing expert to strengthen and extend our research and education activities in the field of housing. The successful candidate will join the Urban Housing, Equity and Social Justice (UHES) team of the IHS. The work requires an ambitious and highly committed team player who would like to develop his/her career in research, education and training activities related to housing and human settlement planning.
Three main pillars build up the housing philosophy of the UHES team and highlight what we stand for in our research, education and advisory work. They are:
- Equity: We stand for housing policies and institutional frameworks that recognises people's needs for housing ensuring that everyone has access to it according to their circumstances.
- Housing Adequacy: We stand for the creation of humane settlements that foster social, economic and spatial integration and inclusion.
- Social Justice: We stand for supporting housing rights and enhancing people's efforts for an improved quality of life.
The aim of the new position is primarily to extend our research and education/training activities. The candidate will be expected to teach master courses and short courses tailored made for professionals; and (in due time) take on course coordination and course development tasks. The candidate will also be expected to play an active role in research and capacity building bids and funded projects, co-supervise MSc students and write academic publications together with the housing team. This will require proactively contributing to develop the research strategy of the UHES team.
For more information about the team, please visit the 'Urban Housing, Equity and Social Justice' thematic area page.
The candidate should:
- hold a Master degree in housing or related fields;
- have a PhD;
- have good knowledge in housing policies and housing finance;
- preferably have experience in urban housing issues in the Global South;
- have experience in writing and publishing academic articles;
- preferably have experience writing research proposals;
- have strong affinity with developing didactic skills and teaching experience in BSc and/or MSc education;
- have an affinity for or interest in (teaching/research) coordination tasks and Elearning.
- the ability to work with digital technology is an advantage;
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an agreement which states the terms and conditions of the employment.
- The position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands for a period of 1 year, with possible extension and needs a presence of 40 hrs per week (1 fte).
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit or be an EU citizen.
- Remuneration will be in line with the responsibilities of the role and depending on the work experience of the candidate (for fulltime employment the minimum is € 3.545 to maximum €4.852, based on salary scale 11 of the CAO NU).
- The expected start date is 1 December 2018, or as soon as possible.
Please send your application before the 1st of November 2018, by email to the IHS secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Mid-level housing expert at IHS' in the subject line and send us:
- A cover letter or letter of application
- A detailed CV