Current facets (Pre-Master)
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a centre of urban development and management of the Erasmus University Rotterdam. We educate and train urban professionals from diverse backgrounds, advise national and local governments from the Global South and engage in cutting-edge urban research. Yearly, we invest a great deal in building up our project portfolio (acquiring and executing training, advisory and research projects worldwide), Together with our partners, we work at the forefront of urban development to improve the wellbeing of people living in cities across the globe.
In the coming years, IHS will be investing in business development, and innovation in its range of services.
IHS is looking for a full time project manager who is able to manage and administer programmes and projects across IHS. This professional will work closely with individual project leaders amongst the academic staff, as well as with IHS’ acquisition and financial management staff.
The candidate should have following skills and be able to take on the following responsibilities:
- Plan, manage and administer all phases of projects / programmes from acquisition, inception through to completion.
- Review status of projects and budgets, manage schedules and prepare progress and status reports.
- Apply state of the arts project management and monitoring software and tools.
- Train and involve all relevant adminstrative / project staff for increasing efficiency in software use.
- Assess leads from different donors/sources and determine their potential feasibility/viability for IHS using specific criteria and an initial assessment on budgetary issues;
- Estimate acquisition costs, and discuss potential projects with all teams as well as the probability of winning with the concerned teams;
- Formulate teams for proposal writing including, hiring in external support where necessary;
- Coordinate the preparation of proposals, business plans, proposal work statements and specifications, operating budgets and financial terms/conditions of contract.
- In coordination with the individual projects leaders, manage contacts with clients and monitor progress during proposal assessment procedures.
- Prepare contracts; prepare negotiation of contract and contract changes;
- Act as primary customer contact for project / program activities, leading project/program review sessions with customer to discuss cost, schedule, and performance.
- Monitor staff work, checks contracts, payments and deliverables.
- Act as the 'project champion' to manage all work and ensure a timely, on budget, high quality project.
- Interact with customers and manage subcontractors to efficiently and effectively complete the project on time, ahead of schedule and with a satisfied customer.
- Develop or refine the scope of work for projects to meet customer needs, and where necessary.
- Assess project issues and develops resolutions to meet productivity, quality, and customer needs.
- Serve as a liaison between project management, the project team, and others.
- Organize and prepare minutes of regular meetings of main staff involved in projects.
- Maintains an overview of staff time spent on projects and rates efficiency of performance.
- International (work) experience in a multicultural environment is an asset
- Be familiar with thematic fields of and IHS’ market for projects in education, training, research and advisory work, affinity for the areas of work and sectors of our institute.
Specific Skills and Requirements
The candidate should:
- Be familiar with and have experience with the programmes, structures and procedures of various donors, (Including for instance, EU, World Bank, UNHABITAT, ADB, DfiD, GIZ, CAF, etc.).
- Have strong inter-personal skills, be an experienced communicator and listener
- Be able to interface effectively with fellow staff, clients and partners;
- Be creative and have a pro-active attitude in team work, but also able to work independently
- Have a hands-on mentality and be a strategic enabler, be able to think strategically with management and senior staff on key areas of growth;
- Be able to work on several things at the same time and with deadlines
Terms & Conditions
- IHS will establish an agreement which states the terms and conditions of the employment.
- The position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands for a period of 1 year, with possible extension and needs a presence of 40 hrs per week (1 fte.).
- General time division: 3 days on managing and administering ongoing projects of IHS, 1 day for project acquisition (scanning, checking partners, preparing and getting documents) updating our databases / experience sheets in coordination with the project secretariat and 1 day for project related team / HR management.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit or be an EU citizen.
- Remuneration will be in line with the responsibilities of the role and depending on the work experience of the candidate (for fulltime employment the minimum is €2588 to maximum €4084; based on salary scale 10 of the CAO NU).
- The starting date will as soon as the candidate is available
Please review our website www.ihs.nl for more information about the organization. Further information about the position can be requested with Ms. Carley Pennink, Head of International Projects (email@example.com; 0104089852).
How to Apply
Please send your application before the 1st of June, by email to the IHS secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Project manager” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed CV
- Availability date