Urban Environment and Climate Change Specialist (mid-level)
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) is a centre of urban development and management of the Erasmus University Rotterdam. IHS advises national and local governments worldwide, engages in cutting-edge applied urban research and educates urban professionals with diverse backgrounds. IHS approach is based on the cross-fertilization of three activities: education, advisory services and applied research. Together with its partners, IHS works at the forefront of urban development and management to improve the quality of life of people living in cities across the globe.
This vacancy for a mid-level urban environment and climate change specialist is aimed at strengthening consulting, research and education activities of the Institute. The candidate will join the Urban Environment, Sustainability and Climate Change team and is expected to focus on all these three areas including acquiring and carrying out consulting and research assignments, teaching in the IHS master programme and professional courses and publishing on peer-reviewed academic journals.
For more information about the Urban Environment, Sustainability and Climate Change team please refer to their page.
Qualifications and competencies
The candidate should:
- Hold a Master and a PhD degree in Environmental Science and Management, Economics and Econometrics, Spatial Modelling and Geo-information Science, Data science, Urban Management and Development or other related disciplines
- Have a minimum of five years of progressively responsible working experience related to urban environment and climate change issues
- Have international work experience in advisory services for international organizations (e.g. European Commission, World Bank, Asian Development Bank) and possibly an extensive network of contacts and clients
- Have a track record in advisory and research project acquisition
- Have excellent analytical and research skills with a track record in academic publications
- Have in-depth knowledge of statistics and econometrics, GIS, R, and Python, with the ability to work with large data set and knowledge of machine learning approaches as an asset
- Have an excellent command of written and spoken English
Terms & conditions of employment
- IHS will establish an agreement which states the terms and conditions of the employment.
- The position is available in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, for a period of 1 year, with possible extension, and is based on a minimum of 24 hours per week to a maximum of 40 hours per week.
- The candidate must be in possession of a Dutch residence permit or be an EU citizen.
- Remuneration will be in line with the responsibilities of the role and depending on the work experience of the candidate (for full-time employment the minimum is € € 3637,00 and the maximum € 4978,00 based on 40 hours per week and on salary scale 11 of the CAO NU).
- The expected starting date is 1 May 2019, or as soon as possible.
By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please add ‘Urban Environment and Climate Change Specialist (mid-level)’ in the subject line and send a cover letter and detailed CV including the names and contact details of two referees.
For further information on the position, you may contact Dr Alberto Gianoli.
The deadline for submission is 1 March 2018.