The OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) scholarship aims at helping excellent and ambitious individuals from developing countries overcome what is often the biggest obstacle in pursuing their master’s education – the cost of studying.
How much is the scholarship?
The scholarship will cover the full cost of tuition fees, one flight ticket between the awardees home country and the country of the university and health insurance. The scholar will also receive a relocation grant as a contribution to the costs of moving and a monthly allowance for one year to cover living expenses, study materials and accommodation costs.
Am I eligible?
You can apply for this scholarship if you meet the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 23-32 at the time of submitting your application;
- Have obtained or be on the verge of completing your undergraduate degree with a bachelor’s from an accredited college/university, or its equivalent;
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 rating system, or its equivalent.
- Must be enrolled at an accredited university for the upcoming academic year starting August/September 2018, and must maintain full-time status for the duration of the master's degree;
- Must be a national of a developing country—please refer to the list of eligible countries. Please note that nationals of OFID Member Countries (Algeria, Ecuador, Gabon, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela) are ineligible to apply;
- Must select a subject of study that pertains to OFID’s core mission, such as: economics of development (poverty reduction, energy and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields.
When is the deadline?
The deadline for this scholarship is 4th May 2018. Successful scholars will be notified by June 2018.
How do I apply?
To apply for this scholarship you will need to register and complete the application form on the OFID Scholarship Portal.
You are required to upload the following documents as part of your scholarship application:
- Passport copy;
- Copy of the transcripts/certificates from the highest educational level that you have completed;
- Proof of English language proficiency;
- A short motivational essay;
- Two recommendation letters;
- Curriculum Vitae.
How do I find out more?
If you would like to find out more information about this scholarship please visit the OFID Scholarship website. You may also find our master’s in urban management and development course information page and frequently asked questions page useful.