MSc Specialisation: Urban Environment, Sustainability and Climate Change
The Urban Environment, Sustainability and Climate Change (UESC) specialisation of the MSc in Urban Management and Development (UMD) aims to provide up-to-date knowledge on how to develop and manage green, low carbon, resilient and adaptive cities.
The specialisation will address the following questions:
- How can we achieve development that minimises the harm caused by climate change induced disasters, while maximising the local development opportunities presented by a green, low carbon and resilient urban growth?
- What is the influence of urban form and structure on climate mitigation and adaptation?
- How are decisions made about which adaptation, mitigation or green growth policies to implement?
- What are the synergies and trade-offs between climate mitigation, adaptation and development interventions and policies?
- What are the barriers municipalities face in the process of planning for adaptation and mitigation and which are the main instruments cities can use to finance climate and environmental interventions?
A variety of topics are discussed during the specialisation including spatial analysis, ecosystems services valuation, multi-level and actor governance frameworks, socio-technical transitions, decision making and integrated sustainability assessment methodologies.
During the thesis period you have the opportunity to help with projects that UESC are involved in which gives you the opportunity to be exposed to actual challenges and issues.
“Joining the UECC specialization with its interactive classes was a truly rewarding experience. It emphasizes the importance of climate change adaptation and mitigation practices as well as sustainable development, environmental theory and environmental management systems.” – Emina Ahmetovic, Bosnia and Herzegowina, master’s student, 2013-2014
Lecturer and Associate Lecturers
|IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam||Ogenis Brilhante||Lecturer|
|IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam||Stelios Grafakos||Lecturer|
|IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam||Alberto Gianoli||Lecturer|
|IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam||Veronica Olivotto||Lecturer|
|IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam||Elena Ensenado||Lecturer|
|IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam||L. D'Acci||Lecturer|
|DRIFT||F. Avelino||Associate lecturer|
|World Bank||M. Ranade||Associate lecturer|
|Climate Focus||J. Hoogzaad||Associate lecturer|
|TU Delft||K. Kwakkel||Associate lecturer|
|Universiteit Utrecht||H. Mees||Associate lecturer|
|World Council of City Data (WCCD)||N. Tillie||Associate lecturer|
|Aalto University, Finland||M. Landauer||Associate lecturer|
|International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED)||D. Dodman||Associate lecturer|