Training in Urban Housing, Equity and Social Justice
Current facets (Pre-Master)
For a number of years UHES staff have been involved in the design and delivery of tailor-made trainings (TMTs) for national and local governments, NGOs and international organisations such as UN-Habitat.
Through training activities, UHES staff acquire empirical knowledge on housing related issues and develop practical tools, guidelines and handbooks for clients in the countries where trainings take place. An important component of the trainings is the Training of Trainers (ToT). UHES ensure that useful methods of learning and training are imparted to trainees who can develop analytically and continue the client’s capacity building through knowledge transfer.
Recent training programmes include:
- Transformation of urban management: capacity building for urban management in Myanmar [Client: UN-Habitat]
- Township action planning for local economic development and entrepreneurship, livelihood enhancement and flood risk management [Client: Nuffic partner: YDCD]
- The role of women organisations in climate change-induced resettlement [Client: Nuffic; Partners: University of Philippines, IHS Local Alumni Association of The Philippines]
- Inclusive city: migrant women and their access to housing and basic services in the Asian City [Client: Nuffic; Partners: DUHD, Ministry of Construction, IHS Local Alumni Association Myanmar]
- Mainstreaming Affordable Resilient Housing Strategies for Vulnerable Communities and Local Development Plans and Policies [Client: LVGP]
- Township action planning for local economic development and entrepreneurship, livelihood enhancement and flood risk management in Yangon, Myanmar [Client: NUFFIC]
- Social Rental Housing Programme Management for Municipalities in South Africa [Client: NUFFIC. Partners: CMRA, SALGA and NASHO]
- Capacity building of Metropolitan Housing and Urban Development Agency for managing and promoting the “Productive Housing Program” in Guatemala. [Client: NUFFIC. Partner: Urbanistica of Guatemala City]
- Designing and implementing street-led citywide slum upgrading programmes. [Client: UN-Habitat]
- Capacity development for planning and implementation of low-income (social) housing projects Nigeria [Client: NUFFIC. Partners: CHSUD, Minna University of Technology]
- Capacity development of Armenian NGOs for promoting sustainable housing maintenance/refurbishment practices in Armenia [Client: NUFFIC. Partners: Third Nature NGO and DSIF Foundation