Apply for Master Urban Management and Development
1. Submit your application
For the application deadlines please see the individual programme pages. We recommend applying as early as possible, especially if you need to apply for a scholarship and/or a visa.
Note: Your application will only be assessed once you have submitted all the required documents. Please make sure you upload all the necessary documents mentioned below:
- Bachelor’s degree certificate and transcripts
- Master’s degree certificate and transcripts (if applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae (click here to download the instructions/template)
- Motivational essay: The urban challenge of your city (click here to download the template and the requirements)
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Reference letters (preferably one academic contact and one professional contact)
- Employer statement (optional)
- Additional documents that you would like to submit in support of your application (optional)
2. Receive your application outcome
If the admissions period is open for the master programme (usually between 15 October and 15 July), within 4 weeks we will inform you your application status as either admitted, incomplete, or rejected.
Admitted application: After you receive the admission letter, the next steps of the admissions procedure will be slightly different depending on the source of funding that you indicated in the online application form.
Incomplete application: With a pre-assessment we check whether your application package is complete with the above mentioned documents. Should there any document is missing, we will contact you by email to request you to submit the documents.
Rejected application: Each year IHS receives a high number of applications. We use certain criteria to select only the best applicants. If your application is rejected and you wish to apply again in the next year, we kindly advise you to study the selection criteria mentioned above to improve your application.
3. Accept your admission offer
After you have received the admission to the course of your choice, it's time to arrange your funding and to confirm with us that you accept the offer. With different funding options, the procedures are also differ.
Candidates who apply for the Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP) (formally NFP)
1. Receive your invitation email
You must be invited by IHS to apply for this fellowship. Thus we will send you an invitation email at least 1 week before the OKP application period opens with the detailed instructions on how to apply. Please make sure to have secured your admission to the academic programme before you apply for OKP fellowship.
2. Check your eligibility and prepare for your application
Before you receive the invitation email, you are advised to check whether you are eligible for this fellowship and prepare the required documents stated on this page.
3. Await the selection outcome
The expected selection outcome date will be mentioned in the invitation email. IHS will inform you the result on behalf of Nuffic NFP programme.
If you are selected for the OKP fellowship: IHS Educational Management Office will guide you throughout the process and make the practical arrangements for you.
If you are not selected for the OKP fellowship and you would like to:
- Defer your admission: Please email admissions office with your deferral request. You will therefore be notified when the next intake is open.
- Self-fund or use alternate funding: please follow the instructions below.
Candidates who apply for other scholarships or self-fund
1. Complete and return your Admission Acceptance Form
Together with the admission letter you will also receive an admission acceptance form (AAF). By filling in this form you can confirm your participation in the programme and choose your desired method of payment. You should return this form within 4 weeks upon the receipt of your admission letter.
2. Request an invoice
As soon as your funding is secured, you will need to request an invoice and complete the payment. If you didn’t ask for an invoice with the return of the admission acceptance form, you can send an email to admissions office.
3. Transfer your payment
With the account information provided on the invoice, you can make your bank transfer. As soon as we receive your payment, we will send you a confirmation email within 2 working days. Please know that IHS does not accept payment on a credit card.
4. Start the practical arrangements
In the confirmation email of your payment receipt, you will also receive information about the practical arrangement such as visa application, accommodation search, and airport pick up. IHS Educational Management Office is in charge of these issues and they will get in touch with you in due time.
Note: Please understand that the visa procedure will only initiated in August.