IHS, Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies is a part of the high ranking Erasmus University Rotterdam (#21 in Europe & #72 globally according to the Times Higher Education ranking) based in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. As a multidisciplinary institute we work closely with the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) and Erasmus School for Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB) and offer a variety of educational programmes.
- MSc in Urban Management and Development
The Urban Management and Development is a 1-year multidisciplinary policy oriented Master's programme which combines theory with practice to train participants to deal with the challenges of the complex urban environment. The programme offers 6 different specialisation tracks:
- Managing and Financing Urban Infrastructure
- Urban Competitiveness and Resilience
- Urban Environment and Climate Change
- Urban Housing, Equity and Social Justice
- Urban Land Governance
- Urban Strategies and Planning
- MSc in Public Administration: Urban Governance Specialisation
The Urban Governance programme is a 1-year Master's track part of the MSc in Public Administration. It is a unique programme offered in collaboration between IHS, the Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies and the Department of Public Administration at the Erasmus School for Social and Behavioural Sciences (ESSB). This programme enables participants to learn how to develop sustainable governance policies that successfully deal with global societal challenges and secure the well-being of people who live inside and outside of cities.
- PhD on Urban Development and Governance;
The Doctoral Degree on Urban Development and Governance is a flexible 4-year programme part of the Erasmus Graduate School of Social Sciences and the Humanities (EGSSH) which offers a number of different modalities and 6 different research clusters. The programme requires participants to be on-site in the Netherlands only 3 months per year.
- Short courses on green cities, local economic development, housing, climate change, development theories, land management, etc. More information here.
- Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs) on local economic development, climate change planning, infrastructure financing & social science research methods. More information here.
Our vision for education
We believe that a strong understanding of concepts and theoretical framework goes hand in hand with a rich practical experience. Theory reflects into practice with awareness and relevance to the context and at the same time, field work and research feed into education, providing valuable inputs to support teaching. At IHS you will find the space and support to put your newly acquired knowledge into practice. In our programmes you'll collaborate closely with your fellow classmates who are outstanding young professionals in urban management and development from over 45 countries. Together, you will learn from highly skilled lecturers and guest lecturers from all over the world, through a unique methodology of real case study analyses, games, class debates and not only. We are proud to be located in the masterfully planned city like Rotterdam, a real-life urban development case study by itself offering countless bold initiatives and urban experiments, a large community of experts and a wide array of niche events are within your close reach.
Why study in Holland?
Safe & happy country: The Netherlands is among the safest countries in the world (Global Peace Index) and is placed in top 10 happiest countries (World Economic Forum).
- Quality education: All 13 Dutch research universities are ranked i the top 2% of the world's best universities.
- Orientation year: After graduation you are eligible for a 1-year work permit in the Netherlands.
- English everywhere: English is an unofficial second language here and nearly everyone you meet will be happy to speak English with you.