- Course dates
20-24 April 2020
€1700 (Nov. 2019 - 31 Jan. 2020)
€2000 (1 Feb. - 15 Mar. 2020)
Para español ir a este LINK.
Why is this course important?
Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region is the second most urbanized in the world, which brings both challenges and opportunities for innovation, smart governance and sustainable urban development. To manage this urban growth in a sustainable way, innovative tools and strategies for governance - specific to the Dutch model of urban development - can prove to be valuable learning resources. Cities like Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Houten, among others, provide successful examples that can serve as inspiration for Latin American cities. However, there are few courses, particularly in Spanish, that deliver these experiences to be brought to decision-makers and LAC professionals.
The Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (IHS-EUR) and 4MYCITY Consulting aim to close this gap through a long-term Executive Program of Urban Leadership and Innovation. This program aims to train 1000 Latin American leaders and 5000 global leaders between 2020-2025. Furthermore, to achieve this objective, it is essential to generate a leadership and innovation network connecting Europe and LAC. As part of this Executive Program, IHS-EUR and 4MYCITY, in alliance with CIVES SOLUTIONS, developed the first Executive Course: Urban Innovation and Smart Governance targeted to LAC professionals or global practitioners focusing on the LAC region.
What will I learn?
- The Dutch Urban Development Model
- Smart Urban Governance
- Urban Innovations
- Circular Economy and Integrated Solid Waste Management
- Sustainable Mobility and Public Spaces
- Climate Change, Urban Resilience, and Water Management
- Methodologies of design, implementation, and monitoring of urban innovation projects in LAC.
How will I learn?
50 hours of the course take place in the Netherlands*.
The course language is Spanish.
The course includes preparatory reading, lectures, workshops and guided professional visits to four Dutch cities: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, and Houten.
*There is a possibility to complement this course with partner universities in LAC.
Do I have the right profile for this course?
This course is for LAC professionals or global practitioners focusing on the LAC region. This is for you if:
- You are a current or emerging urban leader in the LAC region.
- You want to get a firsthand inspirational experience in four dutch cities in the Netherlands.
- You want to gain unique skills, tools and methodologies to generate urban transformation in LAC.
- You want to join an exclusive network of Urban Leaders and Urban Innovators in Latin America and become part of the IHS alumni network which consists of over 9000 urban professionals worldwide.
What does this course include?
Valuable course materials and guides
Your course includes a 50-hour course diploma certified by IHS, Erasmus University Rotterdam. Furthermore, you will receive an introductory guide to urban innovation and smart governance and a guide for the development of urban innovation projects, alongside with all the work materials.
Carefree practical details
The course covers all your lunches, dinners, cocktails and coffee breaks during these five days. You will receive a public transport card with balance included for mobility within the Netherlands. Moreover, all your activities will be either in Spanish or in English, with simultaneous translation into Spanish.
Exciting tours and field visits
During the five days, you will attend lectures, workshops and guided professional visits to four Dutch cities: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht and Houten. You will also be able to enjoy a guided catamaran tour of the Meuse River and of the Rotterdam Port (the largest port in Europe).
Access to a strong leadership and innovation network
For five years after the course, you will have access to information and activities within the international network of the Urban Leadership and Innovation Program. You will take home with you an unforgettable experience and the membership to a strong leadership and innovation network.
Flights from LAC to Amsterdam: ~€500-1200 (arranged by the participant)
Accommodation: from 40 euros per day (arranged by the participant)
This course is offered by the Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies, 4MYCITY Consulting and CIVES SOLUTIONS.
For more details, you can contact the course coordinators:
How to apply in three steps:
- Complete this form in Spanish to apply.
- Once admitted, pay the tuition fee before the indicated deadlines and as specified in the admission email.
- Receive the final confirmation via email and get ready to start the course.