Building Climate Resilience through Ecosystem-based Approaches (EbA), Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) and Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) in the MENA Region
Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Tunisia, Palestinian Territories, Yemen
17-22 September (online)
24-29 September ( face to face in Cairo, Egypt)
|Course modality||Blended learning environment|
|Application deadline||1 August 2022|
|Expected selection outcome||8 August 2022|
|Local partners||Centre for Applied Research for Environment and Sustainability (CARES), The American University of Cairo & IHS Alumni International Network Egypt (IHS LAAE)|
|Course Coordinator(s)||Charmae Nercua, Elena Ensenado, Eqi Lou|
This course is organised with the support of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Nuffic.
Should I join the course?
This course is intended for Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP)/Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP) alumni from Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Tunisia, and Palestinian Territories, Yemen. Alumni can invite colleagues if well motivated and to a limited extent. This course is aimed at alumni whose current practice is related to the theme of the system. Female participation is strongly encouraged. The participants will be chosen based on their relevant professional backgrounds, strong motivation and a high potential for the prolonged development impact of the training.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand and explain the drivers and impacts of climate change on water resources, agriculture and food security
- Understand the definitions, concepts, and principles of Ecosystem-based Approaches (EbA), Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) and Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA)
- Understand and explain the importance of gender equity and equality in implementing IWRM and CSA programmes
- Apply tools and methodologies in planning and mainstreaming EbA, IWRM & CSA strategies in climate adaptation
- Develop a climate adaptation action plan incorporating EbA, IWRM & CSA principles, including a proposed finance and governance model
- Implement a community pilot project based on the action plan developed by the participants
The participants will be able to understand and explain the impacts of climate change on water, agriculture and food security in the MENA region and acquire new knowledge on EbA, IWRM and CSA strategies and approaches in climate adaptation planning and management.
- Module 1: Understanding the impacts of climate change on water, food security and agriculture
- The social, economic & environmental impacts of climate change on water, FNS & agriculture
- Challenges and critical issues in the interface of climate, agriculture, water and food security
- Module 2: Innovative and Gender-sensitive Approaches to Water and Natural Resource Planning and Management (EbA, IWRM & CSA)
- Theories, definitions and concepts of EbA, IWRM and CSA
- Incorporating gender equity and equality in the development and implementation of IWRM and CSA programmes
- EbA, IWRM & CSA Case Studies and Practical Examples
- Module 3: Case Study Analysis / Climate Adaptation Action planning
- Case Study Area assessment
- Stakeholders Analysis
- Problem analysis
- Vulnerability assessment
- Climate change action prioritisation (Climact Prio tool)
- Objective setting
- Strategy development
- Action plan development
Image by Ahmed Ezzat on Unsplash