Apply for Master Strategic Urban Planning & Policies
How to apply for the programme
You are welcome to apply for this specialisation track starting from 16 September. On this page, we carefully explain the whole procedure. Before submitting your application, please make sure that you have already consulted the dates below. We recommend applying as early as possible, especially if you need to apply for a scholarship and/or a visa.
Note: In most cases, you need to have already secured your admission to the academic programme before applying for a scholarship. Make sure you plan your application process accordingly to avoid missing the scholarship deadlines.
You can find an overview of the admission and application process of this Master track below.
Need a Quick Admission Decision?
We understand that many candidates plan to apply for scholarships and need to secure their academic admission in advance and we will do our best to provide the outcome in due time.
Based on our experience, most of the candidates who apply for scholarships submit their course application during Round 1 & 2. To maintain a fair admission process, we must assess the applications by the order of the submissions. In most of the cases our candidates receive their application outcome much earlier than the dates mentioned below. However, this cannot be guaranteed if we receive too many applications at the same time. It is therefore strongly advised to submit your application as early as possible if you intend to apply for a scholarship.
Date Label 16 September 2020 - 1 July 2021 Application intake period for the 2021/2022 cohort. 28 February 2021 Application deadline for candidates who want to be invited to apply for the Orange Knowledge Programme scholarship. 30 April 2021
Application deadline for candidates who want to benefit from the €1000 Early Bird tuition fee payment waiver.*
The waiver is applicable to admitted candidates who submit their tuition fee by 1 June. It is not applicable to full scholarship awardees.
1 June 2021 Early Bird tuition fee payment deadline 15 June 2021 Application deadline for Non-EU/EEA students. 1 July 2021
Application deadline for EU/EEA students.
Tuition fee payment deadline for Non-EU/EEA students.
1 August 2021 Tuition fee payment deadline for EU/EEA students.
We deliver our assessment outcome depending on the round in which you submit your application. The “decision available by” dates are the latest dates by which you can expect your outcome. You might receive your outcome earlier than these scheduled dates. Please keep an eye on your spam/junk folder during that period as well.
Round Application submitted Decision Available By Round 1
Recommended for scholarship dependent candidates.
16 September 2020 – 31 December 2020 (Tentative) 10 January 2021 Round 2 1 January 2021 - 28 February 2021 10 March 2021 Round 3 1 March 2021 - 30 April 2021 10 May 2021 Round 4 1 May 2021 - 15 June 2021 20 June 2021 Round 5 (For EU/EEA applicants only) 16 June 2021 – 1 July 2021 10 July 2021
Step by step application procedure
While submitting your online application, we also require the following documents to be uploaded:
1. Bachelor’s degree certificate and the complete grade transcripts
- The copies should be in English language. A translated copy should be certified, while the original diploma and transcripts should be attached to the translated copy.
- The transcripts must contain all the pages for all the study years and the grading system should be included.
- If you are expected to graduate in the summer, please upload a letter from your university to confirm your status as well as the expected graduation date.
2. Master’s degree certificate and transcripts (if applicable)
- The requirements for the documents are the same as for the bachelor’s degree mentioned above.
3. Curriculum Vitae
- You can find an example template at the Downloads session. However, it is not necessary to follow our template. You are encouraged to choose your own format.
4. Motivational essay: The urban challenge of your city
- The prescribed format can be found at the Downloads session, and this template must be used.
- The topic should be relevant to the specialization track of your choice.
- The references and sources are not included in the word count.
5. Proof of English language proficiency
- You need to submit a copy of the official test report (see the requirements on the Admission page).
- If you would like to apply for the exemption, please submit both of the following documents for evaluation:
- An example of a previously submitted, substantial essay or thesis in English.
- Confirmation from the institution that the language of instruction was entirely in the English medium.
If you are still waiting for the test result at the time of your submission, you can indicate your test date in the application form. We will contact you after the test result is available to submit your test report. Please note that you must register for an English test before 1 July 2021.
1. Reference letters
Preferably one academic contact and one professional contact. There is no special format required.
2. Scholarship offer letter if you have already secured a scholarship.
3. Additional documents that you would like to submit in support of your application.
Note: Your application will only be assessed once you have submitted all the required documents.
Once you have all the required documents ready, you can submit your application via our Application Service Center. In this Service Center you can find the online application form. You don’t need an account to submit your application. However, if you wish to follow up on your application status or upload more documents to your application, you can create an account and log into the Center to do so.
It is a one-page form where you need to fill in some basic information about your personal information as well as your educational/ professional background. It is unfortunately not possible to save your application and submit it at a later stage. We therefore suggest you to get all the necessary information and the documents ready before you start your online application.
Confirmation on your submission
After you have submitted your application successfully, you will receive an email confirmation on your submission within 2 working days. If you don’t get this email, you can also log in to the Application Service Center (link will be published in mid-September 2020) to check the status of your application submission. Under “Your requests” you can find the list of applications you have submitted. If the status of your application is “Application received”, it means that your application has been submitted successfully.
Attention: We have a limited number of spots to offer per specialisation track and some of the tracks can be filled up very quickly. Thus, the specialisation track you chose in the application form will be your final choice for the master’s programme. It is not possible to switch to a different track at a later stage. In addition, the following rules apply to all candidates:
- Each candidate can only be admitted to one specialisation track per academic year.
- You can submit only one application for the MSc in Urban Management and Development during the application period Round 1, 2 & 3. This also means that you cannot apply for more than 1 specialisation track at the same time, like stated above.
- You can submit a second application for a different specialisation track (if there are still spots available) during the application period Round 4 (all applicants) & Round 5 (EU/EEA applicants only). If you have already received an admission for your first application, this admission will be withdrawn while offering you the admission to your second choice of specialisation track.
You can find the dates for the assessment outcome announcements in the dates overview table. If you plan to apply for a scholarship and you need to secure your admission before your application deadline, please make your planning accordingly in order to receive your admission outcome in time.
The assessment outcome will be sent to you via email. Please make sure you have filled in your contact email correctly in the application form.
Types of decisions
Incomplete: With a pre-assessment we check whether your application package is complete with the above mentioned documents. Should there any document is missing, we will contact you by email to request you to submit the documents.
Reserved: This programme is very selective and each year we receive a high volume of qualified applications. Fulfilling all the basic admission requirements does not necessarily guarantee you an admissions offer. In this case, some qualified candidates will be added to the reserved list. If we still have spots available after 1 June, we will visit the reserved list and make a second round of selection. Candidates who do not receive an admission offer by 1 June, are welcome to apply again in the next year.
Rejected: We use certain criteria to select only the best applicants. If your application is rejected and you wish to apply again in the next year, we kindly advise you to study the selection criteria mentioned above to improve your application.
Conditionally admitted: There are two conditions that we consider to grant a conditional admission (there is no guarantee). A conditional admission is only valid until 15 July. You must submit the required documents before this deadline to receive your unconditional admission.
- Bachelor’s degree: If you expect to obtain your bachelor’s degree in the summer, and you meet all the other admissions requirements, we can grant you a conditional admission.
- Proof of English language proficiency: You can be offered a conditional admission without a proof of English language proficiency if you need an admission offer before your English test result is available and you have other support documents to prove your level of English which we consider sufficient.
Admitted: If you are selected to be admitted to the programme, you will receive the admission letter before the planned announcement date. The next steps of the admissions procedure are slightly different depending on the source of funding that you indicated in the online application form.
After you have received the admission to the course of your choice, it's time to arrange your funding and to confirm with us that you accept the offer. With different funding options, the procedures are also different.
1. Receive your invitation email
You must be invited by IHS to apply for this fellowship. Thus we will send you an invitation email at least 1 week before the OKP application period opens with the detailed instructions on how to apply. Please make sure to have secured your admission to the academic programme before you apply for OKP fellowship.
2. Check your eligibility and prepare for your application
Before you receive the invitation email, you are advised to check whether you are eligible for this fellowship and prepare the required documents stated on this page.
3. Await the selection outcome
The expected selection outcome date will be mentioned in the invitation email. IHS will inform you the result on behalf of Nuffic OKP programme.
If you are selected for the OKP fellowship:
- IHS Educational Management Office will guide you throughout the process and make the practical arrangements for you.
If you are not selected for the OKP fellowship you can choose to:
- Defer your admission: We will instruct you on how to defer your admission to the next intake
- Self-fund or use alternate funding: please follow the instructions for candidates who apply for other scholarships or self-fund (see below)
1. Complete and return your Admission Acceptance Form (AAF)
Together with the admission letter you will also receive an admission acceptance form (AAF). By filling in this form you can confirm your participation in the programme and choose your desired method of payment. You should return this form within 4 weeks upon the receipt of your admission letter.
2. Request an invoice
As soon as your funding is secured, you will need to request an invoice and complete the payment. If you didn’t ask for an invoice with the return of the admission acceptance form, you can send an email to admissions office to request one.
If you have received a scholarship to cover your costs, please send us a copy of your scholarship offer letter. We can therefore check the financial conditions and instruct you the next steps accordingly.
3. Transfer your payment
With the account information provided on the invoice, you can make your bank transfer. As soon as we receive your payment, we will send you a confirmation email within 2 working days. Please know that IHS does not accept payment on a credit card.
3.1. Please note that our standard payment deadline is 1 July. However, if the specialisation track of your choice has reached its maximum capacity we reserve the rights to stop accepting payments before the deadline.
4. Start the practical arrangements
In the confirmation email of your payment receipt, you will also receive information about the practical arrangement such as visa application, accommodation search, and airport pick up. IHS Educational Management Office is in charge of these practical information and they will get in touch with you in due time after your enrollment has been finalised.
Note: Please understand that the visa procedure will only be initiated in August.
Life happens and you can no longer participate in the programme this academic year?
That’s no problem! If you have received the admission to the programme but you cannot participate due to personal reasons, you can defer your admission to the next year's intake. You will have the priority for admissions during the next admissions intake. If we don’t have major changes on the admissions requirements, you will receive a new admission letter shortly after the new admissions period is open in the fall of the next year.
Note: An admission offer can only be deferred one time.
Need more admission information?
If you cannot find the information you were looking for, we recommend you to check the FAQs on our Application Service center here.